The environmentally friendly car (also known as the green car, or eco friendly car) is a vehicle that emits low carbon compounds when it runs. The low emission makes the environment safe because changes in climate and health hazards that result from the inhalation of carbon compounds are greatly reduced. Environmentally friendly cars use less toxic fuels such as ethanol, biodiesel and natural gas. Apart from being environmentally friendly, green cars also have the advantage of saving money since the alternative fuels they use do not burn as fast as the conventional types. These features form one of the major reasons why many people are now opting for it. A fuel efficient car is often considered to be environmentally friendly, relative to less-efficient vehicles.
A hybrid car is one that has more than one source of power for its movement. It usually has an internal combustion engine and an electric motor. Other sources of power for hybrids include radio waves, electromagnetic fields, hydrogen, liquid nitrogen and petrol. There are several advantages of buying a hybrid car. Different states in the US give incentives to people that purchase them. In addition, they emit less carbon dioxide and other gases that can cause greenhouse effect. Since the energy they use is clean, the engine is highly efficient and tends to last longer than the conventional type. Most of them come with warranties for the battery, electric motor and other expensive components. Hybrid cars have some disadvantages anyway. One of them is that it costs more than the conventional type. They are usually more expensive by about $2,000 to $5,000. Also, the spare parts of such cars are scarce and sometimes more expensive. Again, their weights are usually more due to the presence of battery packs.
These are cars that run on fuels made from vegetable oil, such as canola, sunflower, soy, and hemp. Waste (used) vegetable oil can also be utilized as biodiesel but must be processed before use. Biodiesel cars can often save money in the long run since the their fuels are less expensive and sometimes even free. For example, some restaurants will give away their used vegetable oil, when then can in turn be used as fuel. Another benefit of biodiesel cars is that if they their use becomes more predominate, the US will have less need to import oil since local farmers will be encouraged to produce more oil. This will also increase mechanized farming and the provision of more jobs.
- Biodiesel Education
- Biodiesel Vehicles
- Biodiesel Fact Sheet
- Biodiesel Passenger Cars and Trucks
- Biodiesel Car Benefits
Ethanol is a renewable fuel made from starch crops, like corn. Most ethanol cars use 85% ethanol while the remaining 15% is made up of unleaded gasoline. The low amount of gasoline in the ethanol makes emission much safer for the environment. It causes a lower increase in greenhouse gases and the fuel itself is biodegradable. Also, since ethanol is mostly made from corn, dependency on domestic farming will also increase if ethanol cars were to become a more popular choice among consumers.
Natural Gas Cars
The natural gas car uses two types of fuels: compressed natural gas and liquefied natural gas. In 2010, about 12.7 million natural gas vehicles were sold throughout the world. Unlike gasoline vehicles, the engines of natural gas cars are less resistant to corrosion. In addition, there is low emission of carbon compounds and the particulates released are cleaner. The cost of natural gas is lower than that of gasoline, which can save consumers a lot of money at the pump. Gasoline costs about 33% more than an equal volume of natural gas. In the US, natural gas is sufficient and supplied even in rural areas so it is unlikely to experience shortage or scarcity. Furthermore, owners of natural gas cars can make more realistic budgets on fuel usage because its price is usually stable (even more stable than other petroleum fuels). Finally, vehicles that operate on natural gas are easier and less expensive to maintain since the engine does not easily corrode and fuel burns easily without leaving much particles in the engine. However, natural gas cars are more expensive than gasoline cars but many people believe that the benefits outweigh the costs.
- Facts about Natural Gas Vehicles
- New Technologies for Cleaner Air
- Natural Gas Vehicles
- How Safe Are Natural Gas Cars? (PDF)
- Understanding Natural Gas Vehicles
This article is a resource created by Cheap Car Insurance meant to educate and raise awareness concerning environmentally friendly cars. Sharing is permissible. Please contact us if you have any questions. Get a car insurance quote in your area.